15 Dec Monthly Fire Extinguisher Inspection
Although you have your Fire Extinguishers serviced annually by a specialist company. You must also regularly inspect your equipment and keep records of completion.
How often you need to inspect your appliances will depend on the nature of your premises, but in general your inspections should be at least once a month.
Your inspection should include:
- Check all extinguisher are in the correct positions.
- Check all extinguishers are easily accessible and not obstructed.
- Check the tamper seals are in place. Missing tamper seal may indicated the extinguisher has been used.
- Check the safety pins are in place. Missing safety pins may indicated the extinguisher has been used.
- Check the pressure gauge (Co2 extinguishers do not have these). If the needle is in the green area the pressure is correct for use.
- Check the extinguishers for damage. Damaged units may not operate when required.
- Record your inspection and report any faults immediately.
These inspections can be carried out quickly and easily. They can be invaluable in making sure that your equipment is in place and operates correctly in the event of an emergency.