25 Jan 10 Workplace Safety Tips For Employees
Fire Safety in the workplace is often over looked by employees thinking to themselves “That will never happen to us”. For most people this is true, but for others the event of a life threatening situation can become a harsh reality.
We have put together some tips to make Fire Safety in the workplace part of your everyday routine
- Keep your workspace tidy and clear of any unnecessary items. Clutter can become a fuel for a fire and obstruct your safe escape.
- Know all the available escape routes. The one you use daily may be blocked in the event of a fire.
- Know where the nearest call point is located. The sooner the alarm is sounded the sooner people will evacuate to safety.
- Know your Fire Assembly Point location outside the building. Once outside staff/visitors need to assemble here for safety.
- Know the location of the closest fire extinguisher point. Only use extinguishers if safe/trained to do so.
- Take a look under you desk. If you see overloaded sockets or extension report this to the relevant person within your company.
- Shut down your computer at the end of each day and ensure all electrical devices are turn off when not in use.
- Do not wedge fire doors open. In the event of a fire closed fire doors will reduce the spread of fire in a premises.
- In the event of a fire, Raise the alarm. Only tackle a fire with an extinguisher if safe and trained to do so. Never risk your own life safety.
- If there are any fire safety issues in your workplace don’t ignore them. Report them to the responsible person before it’s too late.